Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Claywork

I thought of attending Deco clay (Japanese company) craft courses in Hong Kong last time when I was in Danshui, Guangzhou. After checking out the workshop there, I totally gave up the idea because it was too costly. The beginner course already cost me few thousands ringgit excluding the transportation cost. Besides that, after completing the course, I needed to pay for the certifcate and annual fee for their membership, so in the end, I am actually one of the money machine of this company. The Japanese are really good in making money.






I decided to self-learn this clay craft. After buying some books about clay craft, I started to study clay work. Sometimes my curiosity to learn something really drove me until very late at night, staying 1 or 2 a.m. was no big deal for me that time. So here's the result of my work :>


DECO CLAY



I have to admit that the Deco light clay is really fantastic in making the craft above. It is so light, like paper and shaping can be so easy due to it's texture. There are few colors - white, blue, red, yellow, green. White color clay is normally bigger size compared to the rest of the colors because it is need for mixing color purpose. The Deco clay works by mixing two or more color clays together instead of using paint to add color to it.

Shaping

Shaping does not required any mold at all. Based on the method of Deco Clay Academic, you only need to use your fingers to do the shaping. But perhaps, a few may be required to do the shaping such us frill, lace etc.


Don't look at these few small packs of clay, you will be surprised that after making big projects, you still have some left over. What to do with the the left over then ? Easy, just wrap it with plastic flim and store it in air tight container. For me, I will use air tight plastic bag, seal each of them up and store it in air tight container. That should guarantee a better storage time.


Another type of soft clay I used is from Hearty Clay. I don't quite like Hearty Clay because it dries faster compared to Deco Clay, needless to say its storage time.







Here are some of my works :
Does it look real ?


Purple rose













Christmas Rose 2006





I don't remember the name of this type of flower. I saw it when traveling to Hokkaido, Japan this year. They were pretty. Can anyone tell me the name of this flower?













I recycled my moisturizer box
to something more useful and more
beautiful. I used it for to store craft beads.
The more we can recycle, the better the world will be.
So, join me to protect our environment. :>















See, I didn't lie, right ?














Another recycling work of mine. This was actually my husband's watch box. Throwing it away was a total wastage of resources. I finally put it into more meaningful use - a jewellery box.













Sunflower Pixie - always welcoming the sun. Wherever you go, my sunflower head will follow your direction. Every minute of the day counts, I wonder how I can get the most of it from you, Mr. Sun.


I always dream of having pixies beside me. After making some research, I finally made one as a testing. Not bad right ? The sunflower bud is about the size of small marble and the sunflower pixie is about 5 - 6 cm high.

The most difficult part is to draw the facial expression. I was kind of lucky because when I was young, I always love to draw comic characters when I was free. Finally my drawing skill was put into good use. Yes !

The wire craft chair was made by my husband, his first try. I wonder he has the time to make me a matching table....






















Rose pixie holding a basket of rose petal. Actually the idea was to have some pixies having little forest chatting. The rose pixie was on the tree playing with the sunflower pixie etc etc etc.... but ever since I started doing patchwork, I have no time to think of how to complete the whole story... what a shame. Those pixies were made in 2007; I finally decided to post the little dolls to my little niece in Greece, she loves them so much when she saw me posted the above photos in ringo.

























I don't know the name of this pixie. If you have any suggestion, I am open to it. But do take a look at the detail and hope you enjoy it.




Flowers, flowers, flowers .... rose, orchid, pearl etc. How I wish this was my flower bouquet during my wedding day last time.....I would surely hold it with pride. My own DIY bouquet and nobody would believe that it's made of clay.





Happiness wreath. The color just brighten my day. It will be hard to gather colorful flowers to make a wreath and I believe it will be very costly. But soft clay makes it possible. I can shape any type of flowers and colors combination I want to make a project. No more waiting for seasonal flowers. Besides, it lasts forever and recyclable to make another project. The soft clay is really incredible clay.

4 comments:

PatchworkPottery said...

Your roses are beautiful! The purple flowers you asked about are called "grape hyancinth" :o)
Laurraine - Canada

Story Quilt said...

Hi Laurraine.

Once again, thanks for the information. My best wishes to you and family, Happy New Year.

Sens said...

My name is Ms Sens Ong. You are talented of your clayworks especially on rose flowers. Can you teach me how to do rose flower and where can i purchase deco clay

clayflowers said...

hi quilt... how are you? i'm danny... i'm also using claycraft by deco. learn by myself too. this my blog..please add... dlclay.blogspot.com. by the way, where u buy the clay?